Along this pebble-strewn, sandy beach in Empire, capture the waves crashing against the shoreline as the sun sets, illuminating the sky with stunning colors.
$1/hr parking fee from ~Memorial Day to Labor Day
Bring a wide angle lens and waterproof shoes, or prepare for wet feet.
Wide-angle lens (11mm)
How to get there
N44° 48' 55.2996"W86° 04' 02.1"
The image was taken from the north end of Empire Beach along the shoreline. To get there, I recommend taking a car.
Once you're in Empire, MI:
- Take Front Street going west from the stop sign at M22
- Turn right at Joe's Friendly Tavern onto S Lake Street
- Turn left at the next stop onto Niagara Street, following the signs to the beach
- Park as far north in the parking lot near the boat launch as possible
- Walk right (north) up the beach until you hit the channel connecting the inland South Bar Lake to Lake Michigan (about a 5-10 minute walk)
Get more with
Learn more about the locations and
how to get the best pictures including:
Best times to go
Current weather conditions and times around twilight