Vanishing behind a subject, this underground tunnel has perfect symmetry and intriguing lighting conditions. The aluminum ceiling is painted with varying shades of blue that create a sense of depth and dimension, too.
Wide-angle lens (24mm), good in low-light
How to get there
N42° 21' 10.8"W83° 03' 21.96"
This underground tunnel is located in the basement (Level 1) of the Detroit Receiving Hospital — a part of the Detroit Medical Center. Once you arrive at the hospital, you can ask the staff how to get to the tunnel and they'll lead you to this spot.
By Car and once inside hospital:
- Park along East Canfield Street, adjacent to the Margherio Family Conference Center at the intersection of East Canfield and Brush Street
- Head south on Brush Street and then take a left to enter into the DMC Detroit Receiving Hospital (for reference, there will be two yellow half-domes on either side of the entrance doors; 42.3534, -83.0559)
- Walk through the entrance and head straight, veering to the right
- Take a left, with Subway ahead of you
- Before you get to Subway, take a left toward the elevators
- Go to Floor 1
- Take a right out of the elevators then another left down the long hallway
- Through the double doors, you'll see the tunnel
Get more with
Learn more about the locations and
how to get the best pictures including:
Best times to go
Current weather conditions and times around twilight